There has been substantial interest surrounding fruits and plants in their therapeutic capacity across the globe. Pomegranate, with its multiple health giving benefits, has garnered scientific interest. In pomegranate, the real source of antioxidants are the hydrolysable tannins, especially the ellagi tannins. The ellagi tannins are not only water soluble but also the major contributors of antioxidant properties that give the fruit its major health benefits. The seeds which are present called arils and consist of crimson-colored juice sacs surrounding a small, edible seed.They are good sources of potassium as well as vitamins C and K. The arils also contain antioxidants linked to reducing the risk of heart disease and some kinds of cancer.
A wide range of plant chemicals including tannins, flavonoids and anthocyanins have been found to be present in pomegranate. The hydrolyzable tannins (which include ellagi tannins and gallo tannins) in pomegranate account for 92% of its antioxidant activity.
Studies have shown that due to its strong antioxidant powers, pomegranate has the ability to slow down the build-up of arterial plaque, which leads to atherosclerosis. It also been shown to regulate blood pressure and thereby help in bringing about an overall improvement in the wellbeing of the heart.One half-cup serving of pomegranate seeds contains 72 calories, 16 grams carbohydrate and 3 grams of fiber, and count as one carbohydrate serving in a diabetes meal plan.
Key Benefits of Pomegranate
- Powerful anti-oxidant
- Inhibits abnormal platelet aggregation that could cause heart attack, stroke and embolic disease
- Lowers cholesterol
- Lowers blood pressure
Pure pomegranate extract-the extraordinary natural protector of heart health.
Natural Cardio Protect: Key benefits
- Promotes the antioxidant health of the heart and helps fight cell damaging free radicals
- Helps in preventing the oxidative destruction of nitric oxide, ensuring its availability for its essential vessel-protective functions
- Helps in slowing down the progression of arterial plaque built up and, in certain cases, may even reverse it
- Contributes to reduction in stress-induced vasoconstriction (narrowing) of the blood vessels and helps in reducing blood pressure
- Safe, with no side effects